- 2063 (April 5th)
Earth recovers from a nuclear war. The legal system in this postatomic horror (in at least some countries) is based on the priciple of "guilty until proven innocent" as lawyers have fallen into disfavor, because Shakespeare's advice to "kill all the lawyers" has been taken quite seriously.
The joining of Australia in Earth's world government is an important step in unifying the people of this once war-torn planet.
The Romulan wars begin between Earth forces and the Romulan Star Empire. This war was fought with primitive atomic weapons. The Romulan fleet wasn't yet equipped with warp drive.
- The Romulan wars were ended by the Battle of Cheron, where the Romulans suffered a humiliating military defeat at the hands of Earth forces.
- Romulan peace treaty signed, establishing the Romulan neutral zone as a buffer between the planets Romulus and Remus and the rest of the galaxy. Violation of it is considered to be an act of war. All negotiations were conducted by subspace radio, without face-to-face contact between the parties.
The United Federations of Planets (UFP) has been called to life and Starfleet established with the motto "to boldly go where no man has gone before". The Federation is governed by a Council, located in the city of San Francisco on Earth, while the office of the council president is located in the city of Paris on Earth.
The Starship Horizon visits the planet Sigma Iotia II, which is approximately one hundred lightyears beyond Federation space. The crew reports that the humanoid population of the planet is on the verge of industrialization.
At this point in time, Starfleet has not yet institued their Prime Directive of non-interference and a member of the Horizon crew leaves behind a copy of the book Chicago Mobs of the Twenties. The unfortunate result is that the people of Iotia adopt the book as a model for their society.
The USS Horizon was lost along with all its crew, shortly after the contact at Sigma Iotia II. Because of this, Starfleet remained unaware of the cultural contamination until radio signals from the Horizon were received a hundred years later.
Starfleet withdraws the last Daedalus-class starship from service.
The first case of transporter psyhosis is diagnosed on the planet Delinia II. This is a rare disorder which is caused by a breakdown of neurochemical molecules during transport.
First contact with the Klingons. This was a disastrous initial contact and it caused Starfleet to adopt a policy of covert surveillance of newly discovered civilizations before first contact is attempted.
Richard Daystrom, who was to become one of the most brilliant computer scientists and the inventor of duotronic systems, is born.
The Constitution-class USS Excalibur (NCC-1664) is commisioned under the command op Captain Leonard Garth.
Dr. Richard Daystrom invents the duotronic computer technology and is awarded the Nobel and Zee-Magnees prizes. His revolutionary systems becomes the basis for the main computers used on starships.
The starship Enterprise (NCC 1701) is launched from the San Francisco Yards facility which is in orbit around Earth. It goes on a 5-year mission of exploration under command of Captain Robert April.
Captain Leonard Garth, commanding officer of the USS Excalibur, wins a major battle at the planet Axanar, thereby ensuring the continued stability of the United Federation of Planets for the following decades. Garth is promoted to Fleet Captain.
The starship Enterprise sets out on a second five-year mission of exploarion. This time under the command of Captain Christopher Pike.
Last contact between the Sheliak Corporate and the United Federation of Planets prior to 2366. The two parties agree to the Treaty of Armens in which the Federation cedes planet Tau Cygna V to the Sheliak. The treaty contained 500,000 words and took 372 Federation legal experts to draft.
The USS Enterprise completes its first five-year mission under the command of Captain Christopher Pike, the second mission for the ship. A year of refit work in space dock begins.
The USS Enterprise embarks on a second five-year mission under command of Captain Christopher Pike. This is the ship's third mission.
The USS Enterprise completes its second five-year mission under command of Captain Christopher Pike and is given a major refit. At the same time the ship's crew capacity is boosted from 203 to 430.
James Kirk is promoted to captain of the USS Enterprise and meets Christopher Pike, who is promoted to fleet captain.
Captain James Kirk takes the USS Enterprise on its fourth five-year mission of exploration.
Fleet Captain Leonard Garth is seriously injured and recovers on Antos IV.
Unfortunately, the healing technique which enables him to heal also causes him to go insane. Returning to the center seat of the starship Excalibur he orders the ship's crew to kill the inhabitants of Antos IV.
Because of this incident Garth is relieved of command and sent to a Federation rehab colony on Elba II. Captain Mark Harris is assigned as the new commind officer of the USS Excalibur.
The Constitution-class starship Excalibur (NCC-1664), under command of Captain Harris, is destroyed during a disastrous war-game drill with Richard Daystrom's M-5 multitronic computer installed aboard the USS Enterprise. The entire Excalibur crew is killed.
The starship Enterprise has completed its fourth mission and is being given a major refitting process in San Fransico orbital dry dock. Also Will Decker is promoted as the new captain of the Enterprise on recommendation of Kirk.
Admiral James Kirk is temporarily reinstated as captain of the USS Enterprise to investigate a threat. Captain Decker is assigned to serve as his Executive Officer. Although Kirk is succesfull in averting the threath of V'Ger, Commander Decker is reported missing in action.
After this the USS Enterprise embarks under Kirk's command on a new five-year mission of exploration.
Ambassador Sarek of Vulcan starts working on a treaty with the reclusive Legarans, but doesn't succeed until the year 2366.
The starship Enterprise returns from Kirk's second five-year mission of exploration.
Commander Spock is promoted to Captain of the starship Enterprise and becomes a member of the Starfleet Academy faculty on Earth. The USS Enterprise is retired from exploratory service and assigned as a training vessel to Starfleet Academy at San Fransisco.
James T. Kirk retires from Starfleet.
The Federation starts funding the Genesis project of Dr. Carol Marcus. She starts working on it at the Regula I space station.
Admiral James Kirk, now also an instructor on Starfleet Academy on Earth, participates in an inspection and training exercise aboard the USS Enterprise, which is being piloted by Lieutenant Saavik.
The Enterprise then has to fight Kahn, who took over control of the USS Reliant to take revenge on Kirk and attempted to steal the Genesis device.
Lieutenant Saavik and David Marcus, son of Dr. Carol Marcus and Admiral James T. Kirk, are assigned to the USS Grissom for further study of the Genesis Planet in the Mutara Sector.
After this incident, the USS Enterprise returns to the spacedock in Earth orbit for repairs. Upon arrival Kirk is informed that the Enterprise is to be scrapped. In the meantime the USS Grissom discovers a lot of life-forms, including the regenerated, living body of Captain Spock. During the investigation, the Grissom is attacked by a Klingon vessel, resulting in the loss of the entire crew, except Saavik and Marcus, who were on the planet. Marcus is later killed by a Klingon landing party.
Admiral James Kirk in the meanwhile commandeers the starship Enterprise to the Mutara Sector in an effort to recover the body of Spock so it can be returned to the planet Vulcan. During this unauthorized mission, Kirk uses the auto-destruct sequence to prevent the Enterprise from falling in Klingon hands and manages to get control of the Klingon ship. He uses it to return Spock's now living body to Vulcan.
Unfortunately the Genesis Planet itself disintegrates due to protomatter in its creation matrix.
The Klingon Ambassador demands extaradition of Admiral Kirk for alleged crimes against the Klingon nation, but the Federation declines the request, pending their own actions against Kirk for violation of nine Starfleet regulations. Kirk is found guilty and demoted to Captain. He’s assigned to the starship Enterprise (NCC 1701-A), the second ship to bear the name.
Starfleet's Transwarp Development Project is deemed unsuccessful by Starfleet Command. The USS Excelsior is refitted with a standard warpdrive and is assigned to Starfleet duty. The ship, previously classified with the NX registry prefix of an experimental vessel, is redesignated as NCC-2000.
The Klingons develop an improved Bird-of-Prey, capable of maintaining limited invisibility cloak while firing torpedo weapons.
- The Klingon moon Praxis explodes, causing severe damage to the Klingon Homeworld of Qo'noS (pronounced "Kronos"). Federation starship Excelsior is also damaged by the subspace shock from the explosion.
The Klingons decide to begin a major peace initiative. This leads to the Khitomer Conference, a major turning point in galactic politics.
- The Enterprise-A is retired, while the Enterprise-B, under command of Captain John Harriman, is launched. Captain James T. Kirk is among the honored guests. Shortly after launch the Enterprise-B responds to a distress call from two El-Aurian refugee ships, which have encountered a temporal flux energy ribbon known as the nexus. Former Enterprise captain James T. Kirk is believed to be killed shortly after the rescue when energy from the nexus impacts the Enterprise-B. Kirk had been making emergency modifications to the ship's deflector system that made it possible for the Enterprise-B to escape the energy ribbon.
The Tomed Incident takes place and thousands of Federation lives are lost to Romulan forces. Afterwards the Treaty of Algeron is signed, reaffirming the Romulan Neutral Zone. The Federation promises as part of the pact not to develop or use cloaking technology in its spacecraft.
Transporter psychosis, a rare disorder, is eradicated because of the invention of the multiplex pattern buffer, used in transporter systems.
The Cardassian empire now formally annexes the Bajoran homeworld, thereby forcing a lot of the native population to resettle elsewhere. Those who remain on Bajor face the risk of torture and mistreatment. The Cardassians also strip the planet of its natural resources, causing severe environmental damage. An underground of Bajoran nationals starts a terrorist campaign against the Cardassians, and maintain it during the next 40 years. The United Federation of Planets expresses symphaty for the Bajoran people, but decides not to intervene until 2368, seeing it as an internal Cardassian affair.
The isolinear chip technology replaces the duotronic enhancer system aboard Starfleet vessels.
The temporal energy phenomenon known as the nexus passes through Federation space again. The last time it came through this part of space was in 2293. Approximately 39.1 years ago.
Jean-Luc Picard takes command of the USS Stargazer when the ship's captain is killed. Picard is then subsequently promoted to captain and becomes, at the age of 28, one of the youngest Starfleet officers ever to command a starship.
The android Data is discovered in the remains of the colony on the planet Omicron Theta by the crew of the Federation starship Tripoli. All colonists are reported missing and all plant life dead. It is later discovered that was caused by the Crystalline Entity.
The Ambassador-class starship USS Excalibur (NCC-26517) is commissioned.
- The USS Enterprise-C, commanded by Captain Rachel Garrett, is nearly destroyed by a Romulan attack, while defending a Klingon outpost on Narendra III. This assistance of a Federation starship was a key development in maintaining friendly relations between the Federation and the Klingons.
- Last attempt to make diplomatic contact with the Jaradans prior to 2364. The attempt was dramatically unsuccesfull because of the mispronuncation of a single word.
- Cardassian forces, fearing a massive attack from the Federation, launch a preemptive strike againts the Federation colony on Setlik III. The starship Rutledge, commanded by Captain Bejamin Maxwell responds to the attack, but is unfortunately unable to prevent the massacre of nearly a hundred civilians, including Maxwell's wife and children.
Rutledge crew member Raymond Boone is replaced by a Cardassian agent.
- Starfleet Command orders a new design of the Starfleet emblem.
At the age of 14, M'k'n'zy of Calhoun, who would later change his name to Mackenzie Calhoun, started a revolution of the Xenexians against the Danteri by trying to kill a Danteri tax collector. The tax collector manages to get away, but one of his three guards is been killed.
- The Cardassian military constructs a mining station in orbit of the planet Bajor. Its designation: Terok Nor.
- The Romulan science vessel Talvath makes contact with the starship Voyager, which is approximately 70,000 light-years away and 20 years in the future, while the Talvath is investigating a microscopic wormhole. He returns with a computer chip containing messages intended to be delivered in 20 years to the families of the Voyager crew.
The Xenexian Rebellion, led by Mackenzie Calhoun, now aged 19 years old, is finally successful.
Later this year Xenex is visited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Lieutenat Jack Crusher of the starship Stargazer on a diplomatic mission.
The USS Stargazer, commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, is nearly destroyed in the Maxia Zeta star system. Picard saves his crew with a maneuver now know as the "Picard maneuver", after which they use the escape pods. Picard is routinely court-martialed for the loss of the Stargazer.
In the Delta Quadrant the war between the Talaxians and the Haakonians is ended when the Haakonians conquer the Talaxian homeworld. The Haakonians win by using a weapon of mass destruction, called the metreon cascade. It is used against the moon Rinax, causing the death of some 300,000 Talaxians instantly and a lot more indirectly because over subsequent years the survivors suffer a fatal degenerative blood disease called metremia, caused by exposure to metreon isotopes.
Haakonian scientist Ma'Bor Jetrel feels terrible remorse at the death wrought by his work and starts working on a process he calls regenerative fusion that could theoritically restore some of the people of Rinax who were disintegrated by the metreon cascade.
- The experimental starship Pegasus explodes near the Devolin system, killing nearly everyone aboard. The survivors report that the crew had mutinied. However, it is not revealed that the Pegasus had been engaged in a top-secret research mission, violating the Treaty of Algeron.
- Brikar-Federation War: The Brikar attempt to form an alliance of races hostile to the Federation and to take over the Federation. A few skirmishes are fought over a number of weeks, but the Federation defeats the Brikar handily.
A JAG's report on the Pegasus incident concludes that mutiny in fact did take place but also that the survivors had withheld information from the inquiry, and so further investigation is recommended. No such investigation is made, however.
The fragility of the peace between the Klingons and the Federation is demonstrated when Klingon forces conduct a raid against Federation territory.
USS Enterprise-D launched under command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Starfleet command studies the threat posed by the Borg and accordingly starts developing a new type of starship. Officially they are classified as an escort, but the new Defiant-class would be heavily armed and specifically designed to meet the Borg in battle.
An armada of 40 Federation and Klingon starships is nearly annihilated at Wolf 359 by the Borg. Eleven thousand personnel and 39 starships are lost. It is believed that the involuntary cooperation of Captain Jean-Luc Picard, then known as Locutus of Borg, played a significant role in this terrible defeat.
The Borg ship proceeds to Earth and is met by the Enterprise-D. A rescue mission is successful in recovering Picard and a study of his Borg implants makes it possible to trigger the self-destruct sequence of the Borg vessel.
- A Tamarian spacecraft arrives at the planet El-Adrel IV and transmits a subspace signal toward Federation space. It is determined to contain a standard mathematical progression which Starfleet interprets as an attempt to start a dialog with the Federation.
- The Ambassador-class starship Excalibur (NCC-26517) is hauled out of spacedock to join the blockading fleet along the Klingon-Romulan border, temporarily commanded by Will Riker, First Officer of the Enterprise-D.
- Mackenzie Calhoun is assigned to the Excelsior-class USS Grissom as First Officer.
- Later this year the Ambassador-class Excalibur encounters a small Borg scout vessel. Through heroic effort of its captain, Captain Korsmo, the Excalibur manages to escape destruction, although a portion of the starship's engineering section is extracted and taken by the Borg ship before it returns to the Delta Quadrant, using a transwarp conduit. Several crewmembers were trapped in the stolen section and assimilated by the Collective. After the encounter, the Excalibur travels to Starbase 234 for repairs.
- Also later this year the so-called Grissom Disaster occurs. The ship's First Officer, Commander Mackenzie Calhoun is court-martialed. Although he is exonerated, the incident prompts him to resign from Starfleet.
- Starfleet takes over the Cardassian station Terok Nor, which is in orbit of Bajor. It is now called Deep Space 9, and under command of Benjamin Sisko.
- The USS Enterprise-D finds the remains of the USS Jenolan, a transport vessel that crashed in 2295. The sole survivor is Captain Montgomery Scott, who had retired from Starfleet. He had survived by suspending himself in a transporter beam for nearly 75 years.
- In the Delta Quadrant the god-like life-form which is known to the Ocampa people as the Caretaker falls ill and is near death. Realizing the Ocampa people can't survive without him, he seeks to find a genetically compatible life-form with whom he can procreate so that his offspring can continue to care for the Ocampa. He is unsuccessful in his quest.
- The science vessel USS Equinox, which had been assigned to chart the Badlands, as well as attempt to locate any Maquis installations, disappears mysteriously.
- Once again Stafleet orders a change in their emblem.
- The United Federation of Planets concludes an agreement with the Romulan Star Empire under which the Romulans will provide a cloaking device to the Federation's Starfleet for the purpose of defending the Alpha Quadrant against the Jem'Hadar and the Dominion. This loaned cloaking device is installed into Starfleet's experimental USS Defiant which is assigned to Deep Space 9 at Sisko's request.
- The starship Voyager (NCC-74656), under command of Captain Kathryn Janeway, is launched and transported on its first mission by a displacement wave to the Delta Quadrant, some 70,000 light-years away, while investigating the disappearance of a Maquis ship in the Badlands. Investigation revels the Caretaker was responsible for this.
The surviving members of the Maquis vessel, commanded by Chakotay, agree to join the crew of the USS Voyager to form one single Starfleet crew.
- The search for the starships Voyager and Equinox in the Badlands continues and Starfleet assigns the newly commissioned Sovereign-class vessel to coordinate the search efforts. Nothing is found, however.
- The search for the missing ships Voyager and Equinox is called off, the families are notified and a memorial service is held at Starfleet Headquarters in San Francisco.
- The Borg attack a task force led by Admiral Hayes at Earth. The starship Excalibur is damaged in the attack and several of the crew, including Captain Korsmo, are killed. After the battle, the Excalibur is sent to drydock for repairs and gets a complete refit, including a new warp core so that it can match the speed of the newer Intrepid-class vessels, and a strengthened structural integrity field and hull to accomodate the stresses of the higher speeds.
Most of the crew is reassigned and First Officer Elizabeth Paula Shelby is promised the command of the USS Excalibur by Starfleet Command.
- A Ferengi shuttle containing two men appears near Barzan II. The two had disappeared in 2366 during negotations to purchase the Barzan wormhole, which at the time was thought to be stable. Claiming to have encountered a Starfleet vessel in the Delta Quadrant they want to sell its name to Starfleet. Starfleet however declines their offer, assuming there is no validity to their story.
- The Thallonian Empire collapses and many thousands of refugees leave the system. A meeting is held aboard the USS Enterprise-E to discuss Starfleet's response to the Thallonian situation. Present are Captain Picard, Commander Riker, Ambassador Spock, and Admirals Nechayev and Jellico. It is decided to send a lone starship, the Excalibur, into the area. Over Admiral Jellico's objections, Mackenzie Calhoun in chosen to be the commanding officer of that 31-year-old Ambassador-class vessel. Captain Calhoun chooses Commander Shelby as his First Officer. The Excalibur leaves for Sector 221-G, the location of the former Thallonian Empire.
- The planet Thallon is destroyed when the once considered mythological Great Bird of the Galaxy "hatches" from it.
- The experimental vessel Prometheus is overtaken by Romulans. At the same time the USS Voyager manages to transfer their EMH via a series of ancient communications arrays to that ship. The EMH1 of Voyager and the EMH2 of Prometheus, manage to retake the vessel. Before returning to the Delta Quadrant Voyager's EMH briefs Starfleet Command on Voyager's situation.
The following day, when letters are being transmitted the communications network collapses, thereby cutting Voyager off from Starfleet once again.
Subsequently Starfleet starts up the Pathfinder project, with the intent of finding a method to communicate again with Voyager as well as finding a method to bring Voyager home.
The USS Grissom is destroyed by the Jem'Hadar at the Battle of Riktor Prime.
- The starship Voyager, commanded by Captain Kathryn Janeway, docks at a Markorian outpost space station in the Delta Quadrant. While there they encounter three ex-Borg drones and help them to get fully disconnected from the Collective. As a result of the procedure they have only a few months left to live. One of them is former Excalibur crewmember Lieutenant Marika Wilkarah, who decides to remain aboard Voyager, while the other two ex-drones go on their own way.
- Without being allowed to do so, Lieutenant Reginald Barclay uses the MIDAS Array to create an artificial wormhole to allow two way communication between Voyager and Starfleet Command. He is successful and during several minutes there is communication. Because of his success Starfleet doesn't take action against Lt. Barclay for not following orders. Admiral Owen Paris approves the project and assigns Lieutenant Barclay to head the research crew.
- Later on this year the Excalibur (NCC-26517) blows up due to an overload of the warpcore. Presumably the cause of this was the Double Helix virus. All crew are saved; only Captain Mackenzie Calhoun is believed to have died. On the christening of the new Galaxy-class Excalibur it turns out he had crashlanded on a planet without space travel or communicational abilities.
Six months after the destruction of the USS Excalibur (NCC-26517), a new Galaxy-class starship Excalibur (NCC-26517-A) is about to be launched under command of Captain Elizabeth Paula Shelby, captain of the USS Exeter for the past 6 months, when suddenly Captain Mackenzie Calhoun appears on the bridge.
It is decided that Captain Calhoun once again command the Excalibur, while a second ship is assigned to Sector 221-G: The USS Trident, commanded by Captain Shelby.
Before setting off to Sector 221-G, Captains Calhoun & Shelby get married. The marriage is conducted by Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Ambassador Neelix leaves the USS Voyager to join a group of Talaxians living on an asteroid. On the advice of Captain Janeway, Starfleet Command has decided to let Ambassador Neelix stay in the Delta Quadrant as an official Federation Ambassador.
Starfleet has created a new type transwarpdrive, based on all the scientific information the starship Voyager has collected on its journey through the Delta Quadrant. This drive is installed in the newly build Sovereign-class starship Calhoun (NX-78546).
Its first mission under command of Captain Sera Vaun is to establish diplomatic contacts with races encountered by the Voyager in the Delta Quadrant. Captain Sera Vaun tragically dies during this first mission in order to save her First Officer Fox D. Main. Once Commander Main is fit for duty again he is promoted to Captain of the USS Calhoun by Starfleet Command. Unfortunately he is unable get over the fact that he has become the Captain of the Calhoun due to Vaun's sacrifice in order to save him, so when the option presents itself Captain Main requests a transfer to the USS Odyssey, leaving the Calhoun in the hands of newly promoted Captain Rovan Bren.